Keeping pets is part of the American culture and amongst all pets, dogs surely out number others in America. The love of Americans for their dogs is unique as they ascribe human feelings on them and treat them as part of their family. They take total care of the needs their dogs from nourishment to exercise, medical attention and safety. We at TruCare Pharmacy understand this fact and appreciate that proper care and safety of our dogs is foremost.
Just like humans, dogs too face behavior problems. Fear and aggression are the most common of these problems. Though your dog cannot tell you verbose that it is scared, yet it can communicate with body postures and behavior. Here we are publishing some important tips so as to understand such behavior and ways to avoid such predicament.
Common Symptoms of a Frightened Dog
- A frightened dog generally shows following symptoms:
- It stands with its head lower than its back.
- Its ears are laid back and tail tucked between legs.
- It avoids eye contact and may growl as well.
- When approached, it may just freeze or attempt to escape. If the dog runs away, it looks back over its shoulder to be sure it is not being pursued.
- Its mouth is either closed or slightly ajar.
- It may tremble and keep distance between it and the person or thing it fears.
- Females, in particular, may urinate or, in extreme cases, defecate.
- Drooling, drop saliva uncontrollably from the mouth.
- Loss of appetite.
- Hiding behind any object.
- Barking without any obvious reason
Reasons of Dogs Fear
- Loud sounds like that of thunderstorms or low flying airplanes
- Car riding or travel especially in open trucks or vehicles
- Fear of other dogs.
- Fear of unknown due to some bad experience in the past
What not to Do
- No punishment as it never works and only makes the situation worse
- Do not raise your voice
- Do not force the dog to do something or drag it towards something it is scared of
- Do not attempt to train a fearful or stressed dog
We are sure that the above tips will help you better understand your dog and provide it a happier and comfortable environment. Whenever your dog is relaxed and comfortable, you can see it in his face and eyes.
We at TruCare Pharmacy also specialize in providing high quality veterinary medications and services out of Corona and San Diego, CA.